Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Wot with josh taking borrowed cars to scotland some one better post on here....

Interesting quote from here

"In terms of performance-per-watt, nothing can touch the Dual-Core AMD Opteron processor. It represents a potential annual savings of $50,000 for a datacenter with 500 two-way systems."

I assume thats just in the electric bill. Or $100 per year per computer. Based on a very quick calulation my CPU, at 72 watts, is using 613KWh per year, or $105(nz). Now can I convince myself to upgrade all my computers to Pentium Ms just on the baisis of the power I'll save.

Shockingly the Pentuim M 1.6 has Thermal Guideline 21.0W which would cost $31(nz) per year to run. Or a saving of $74 per year. Incredible.

Unfortunately it costs $335 to buy (Plus a motherboard and ram). The Mobile Celeron Ms at 1.4 chug out the same 21.0W and only cost $145 giving a realistic 2 year payback time. Now to magic the motherboard and ram out of thin air....

No comments: