Monday, February 14, 2005

who are hi5? and sms.ac?

who are hi5 and sms.ac? hi5 appear to be good at sending multiple emails to people who don't want them*, and sms.ac also seem to be very good at sending multiple emails inviting you to join their network, from people that you know and also people that you don't know. (for example, I've recieved 3 invites from one person I don't know, and 3 from someone I do know).

* hi5 asked heather for her hotmail password!! presumably so that hi5 could get access to all her msn/hotmail contacts to spam!

"I was going to do more research before I posted this, but since it appears that I've created a minor epidemic in my local community, I'm posting this a bit uninformed. I received an email inviting me to SMS.ac, which I would normally ignore, but it was from someone who's judgment I trust. I clicked through the signup process without finally completing it, but unwittingly gave the service access to my MSN IM information. This spammed my whole buddy list with invitations." from here

1 comment:

Matt said...

yeah, i got an invite from a friend and thought.. i bet they don't know that it's sending a message to everyone.. so yeah at some point in the reg process sms.ac asks you for your hotmail password..
Basically it's viral marketing / harassment.. a bit like the names database.. (I found myself and a few other people I know are already on their lists)