Thursday, June 12, 2008

Goodbye formatted text clipboarding woes

Whenever you ask Windows to copy a selection of text, say from a web-page, if at all possible it keeps all the formatting details as well - whether it's in bold, underlined, in a variety of different sizes of font etc. Well, I don't know about you, but 99% of the time, I -really- don't want all of that. Perhaps I'm pasting into an email - then I'd usually prefer the text to be consistent throughout. For years, I've fired up Notepad, pasted it into that and then recopied it. It was a bit of a pain but it did get rid of all that formatting.

Then, today I started to think - couldn't I write a little application that sits in the system tray and lets me switch betweeen "throw away the formatting" and "keep it" modes of operation? Then, I thought - maybe somebody's already written it - I mean it's a fairly obvious idea, right? Well they have. And it looks pretty good. And now I've told you about it. Click the link and improve your clipboardy happiness.

Fresh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's just lazy phil - you're supposed to code your own version - then pretend like your's is the only one - then have fights with other programmers over how great your version is...

Dodgey Phil said...

In an ideal world, I agree entirely. Alas busy seems to be the name of the game as ever. You're right of course though - if I did write one, it would be the best one. It wouldn't though, 'cos this one seems to have groovy extra features that I probably wouldn't have though of. If you copy an image to the clipboard (e.g. using the Print Screen key), it pops up a little preview out of your sytem tray and has the option to save it immediately. It's very kinky for a clipboard utility.